May and June are two of our favorite months of the year. Why? Because we get more sunshine days with an abundance of fresh produce to enjoy. May 21st marks National Eat More Fruits and Vegetable Day. And in case that wasn’t enough…National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month occurs swiftly after in June. To celebrate these special spring-to-summer months, we invite you to try a delightful recipe called Basic No-Fat, No-Fuss, Colorful Kale. This recipe comes from the cookbook Greens Glorious Greens!, authored by Johnna Albi (Skimble co-founder Gabe‘s late mom) & Catherine Walthers. Let’s dive in and discover this quick and easy kale dish that will satisfy your taste buds.
RECIPE: Basic No-Fat, No-Fuss, Colorful Kale
¾ Pound of kale or 1-2 bunches (about 6 cups, chopped)
2 Cups of water
3 Carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 ½ Cups of corn, preferably cut from cobs (substitute with organic canned corn if handy)
Salt to taste
- Wash the kale thoroughly and remove the leaves from the stalk. Chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet with a lid, bring the water to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, cut the quartered carrots into ½-inch pieces. Add the carrots and corn to the boiling water, then reduce the heat. Cover the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared kale to the carrots and corn. Cover the skillet again and cook for an additional 4 minutes. The water should be gently bubbling, but not boiling over.
- Sprinkle salt to taste, give it a good stir, and transfer the dish to a serving dish using a slotted spoon. Serve the kale hot and don’t forget to enjoy the “pot likker”!
Let’s indulge in the goodness of vegetables with this vibrant and nutritious colorful kale recipe all year long. It’s quick to make, fat-free, and bursting with flavor.
Don’t forget to pair this delicious vegetarian dish with a fresh dose of the free Workout Trainer app to maintain a healthy lifestyle. As always, thank you for choosing to work out with us! It means so much.